Let go of Fear and People-Pleasing!
It’s a natural feeling to want to be accepted by other people or to feel part of a group but this behavior can often leave you full of fear and constantly trying to people please. This is a behavior that can be taught as young as a child and be carried over into our adult life. We want others to like us, and if they start to be mean or distant towards us we often don’t understand why. Or maybe you are like me and were raised by a parent who intimidated you into submission, you weren’t allowed to express how you truly felt and no matter what you did you were always wrong. Most people who struggle with people-pleasing usually have a deeper-rooted problem. There is an underlying fear base issue going on and until we get to the bottom of that we will never find our true self. I would like to share with you some tips that helped me to get free from people-pleasing, it takes a lot of daily practice. I love the words of Joyce Meyers, “do it afraid.” There are times where I have had to tell people “no” or tell people “that doesn’t work for me” and it was scary at first. What you have to understand is your true friends will stick around and be understanding. The friends or family members who get mad at you, there is nothing you can do about it and that is not your responsibility. We have to get to a place in our life where we are not allowing other people to control our life. Plus, you will never be able to please everybody.
TIPS FOR LETTING GO OF FEAR AND PEOPLE-PLEASING
- Ask God to show you where the fear is coming from.
- If this is a real problem for you, consider getting professional help to pinpoint the cause.
- Start using your voice more often by expressing how you feel. This can be scary at first.
- Learn to say No, more often. No is a complete sentence.
- Take time to discover who you are as a person. What interest you? What are your values? How do you like to dress?
- If you say yes to something and get resentful later, its okay to back out. Everyone over commits.
I hope you find this helpful!